Published on
Last updated on

Thinking About Living Arrangements for Adult Autism Disability

When it comes time to apply for Social Security disability for autism in New York, many people also start looking at long-term placement options and living needs. There are several options, depending on the autism spectrum disorder that your loved one suffers and how well he or she is able to complete activities of daily living:


  • Long-term care facility. This may be necessary if your loved one needs constant supervision and complex medical care.
  • Group home. A group home can be a great option for those who can tolerate some self-care, but still need help with meal preparation, housekeeping, and personal care.
  • Foster home. Some disabled adults are able to find placement in foster homes that can provide help with daily needs and also focus on teaching living skills and arranging activities outside the home.
  • Living with relatives. If you need additional support to keep your loved one at home, there are some programs available through entities like Social Security disability and Medicaid.
  • Living independently. Living independently can be an option for high-functioning individuals who are able to take care of their own daily needs. Many providers offer assistance for those living independently for issues like handling finances and navigating systems like Social Security disability.


The White Plains disability lawyers with Markhoff & Mittman are here to answer your questions about New York disability for autism spectrum disorders. Give us a call at 1-855-614-4351 to schedule a completely free legal consultation.