If you've suffered a rotator cuff tear while on the job in Westchester County, you know how painful it can be. Worse still, a severe rotator cuff injury can continue to cause arm and shoulder problems even long after a surgical repair. If you have to work overhead or lift heavy loads as part of your job, learning how to prevent a rotator cuff injury can ultimately mean preventing expensive hospital bills and time away from work.
Although some rotator cuff injuries are due to acute trauma, most are the result of years of hard work that slowly erode the stability of your shoulder. To prevent a shoulder injury, and all of the problems that go along with it, you should:
- Use gentle stretches to keep the shoulder flexible and relieve strain.
- Exercise the shoulder using lower resistance weight training paired with higher repetition to build shoulder strength without strain.
- Warm up before heavy lifting or other shoulder-stressing work to prevent tears.
- Schedule a regular massage, which can increase blood flow and soothe tired muscles.
- Take short breaks between straining tasks to allow your muscles to recover.
Remember to treat your shoulders well, and they will work for you for years to come. However, if you have already suffered a rotator cuff tear on a NY worksite, we'd like to hear from you and answer your questions. As White Plains workers' compensation attorneys, we are devoted to helping injured New York workers get the compensation they deserve. Give us a call at 1-855-614-4351 or 1-866-205-2415 today. We'd also like to send you a FREE copy of our book, 5 Deadly Sins That Can Derail Your New York Workers' Compensation Case, which we believe you will find very helpful. Thanks for stopping by!