Published on
Last updated on

Commonly Asked Questions About the Zadroga Bill

With the recent discussion of the Zadroga Bill, some people are still confused as to what to expect under the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act. Here are some of the more commonly asked questions and answers:

What does the Zadroga Bill do?

The Zadroga Bill provides funds for first responders and others affected by the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center for medical monitoring and treatment of illnesses caused by the toxic chemicals found in the air around Ground Zero.

What information will each claim under the Zadroga Bill require?

When submitting a claim, you will be required to indicate how long you were exposed to the toxic chemicals around Ground Zero, how close you were to the site, and what your business was (fire, EMS, volunteer, resident, clean up worker, etc). You will also need to describe the medical impact this has had on you, including any diagnosis, injuries, treatment you’ve already received and the medical prognosis, and finally, you will be required to indicate your economic loss as a result of your situation.

When can I put in a claim under the Zadroga Bill?

Claim forms will be available on or before June 2011. Our Zadroga lawyers can assist you with your claim.

What has to happen before claims can be processed?

The Health and Human Services secretary is required to formulate rules and regulations for the Zadroga Bill, including the appointment of a Special Master. A claim form will be completed for each claimaint to fill out. The Special Master will monitor and manage all aspects of the Zadroga Bill, evaluate claims, and determine compensation awards.