Published on
Last updated on

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for Adults Disabled Since Childhood

Adults, who have been disabled before they turned 22 years of age, may be entitled to benefits paid by the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program.  The Social Security Administration considers this benefit to be a “child’s” benefit because it appears on the parent’s Social Security earnings record.

To be eligible to receive the “child” benefit, one of the disabled adult’s parents must:

• Be receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits, or
• Have died and worked long enough under Social Security

Benefits are also available to an adult who received dependents benefits on a parent’s Social Security earnings record before the age of 18, if he or she is disabled at the age of 18.  A disabled adult can receive SSDI “child” benefits as long as he or she remains disabled. 

A disabled child who is 18 years old or older, will be treated the same way as any adult.  The Social Security Administration will view the disability the same.  As a parent or caregiver, the application you complete for your child will be sent to the New York Disability Determination Services where the disability decision will be made.

When you apply for SSDI benefits for your child, you will need to provide detailed information about his or her medical condition and copies of any medical records or information that you currently possess. You will also need to give the dates of doctor and hospital visits, as well as any account numbers associated with these medical providers.  The agency will also want to know how your child’s disability affects him or her on a daily basis.

As you begin the application process, you should have your child’s birth certificate and Social Security number available.  You can apply by calling the Social Security Administration directly at (800) 772-1213 or by visiting a local Social Security office.  It can take a few months for the application for benefits to be approved. 

If your disabled child is denied SSDI payments, you can make an appeal.  It would be wise to consult with a knowledgeable New York Social Security Disability attorney who can help you with the appeal process.  Contact Markhoff & Mittman, P.C. at 866-205-2415 for expert legal advice.

The Social Security Administration also provides employment support programs for young people with disabilities who want to work.  Assistance is even provided for disabled adults who need rehabilitation and training.