The U.S. Department of Labors Occupational Safey and Health Administration recently issued $61,000.00 in fines against a Newburgh NY bottling company.
The fines were for violations including:
– blocked exit doors and routes;
– a blocked and restricted fire suppression system;
– an inadequate flammable storage room;
– improper storage of flammables;
– adequate electrical equipment; i
– inadequate personal protective equipment;
– lack of hazard communication training;
– and various machine guarding hazards.
While there was no information available from OSHA or the New York State Workers Compensation Board about actual injuries at the facility, it is clear that this Company placed very little value on the safety and well-being of its employees. The $61,000 in fines seem inadequate for the magnitude of the harm that could befall the employees of this Company! Good for OSHA!